DC Public Schools Boiler Replacements
The United States Corp of Engineers was assigned to the Washington, DC, Public School system to execute a multi-year renovation program for DC Public School buildings.
DesignTech was enlisted as a design member of a design-build team whose project scope included complete renovation of the boiler plants at seven DC Public Schools. These schools included: Adams ES, Amidon ES, Davis ES, Duke Ellington HS, Garnet-Paterson MS, Kimball ES and Peabody ES. These projects typically included the following design elements.
- Steam or high efficiency hot water boilers with stepped controls.
- Heat exchangers, steam condensate system, boiler feed water and chemical treatment systems.
- Boiler breeching and stacks, combustion and ventilation air systems.
- DDC control system.
- Complete electrical infrastructure for heating system.
- Complete boiler room piping replacement.
In some cases where the distribution piping system was found to be deteriorated to the point of hazard, new distribution piping was installed.
Design documents and construction for these projects was completed in a 7-month time period in order to meet a mid-October completion date for on-line heating operation. This included submission and review time for inspection of the design documents by the Corps of Engineers. All deadlines were accomplished.